I decided to add a link to some resources that have helped me personally. This is by no means meant to be comprehensive; it’s just something I wanted to share for those who don’t know where to start when it comes to diversity & race/class issues.
These are books/documentaries that I have personally watched/read or am in the middle of doing so. I don’t want to add anything that I haven’t looked into and blindly endorse nonsense.
I will try to update this from time to time based on current events and such.
I will also try to link to a publisher’s page instead of Amazon whenever I can. Google “Amazon worker” and you’ll find articles like this one that describe the conditions people work in with little concern for their health. Chris Hayes also had a Why is This Happening? podcast episode that talked about Amazon’s business practices (transcript is on the podcast landing page as well!).
Sometimes a publisher might have deals or offer extras along with purchase/download, too!
Books, Articles, and Writers
- Women, Race & Class (Angela Davis).
- Sister Citizen (Melissa Harris-Perry)
- Medical Apartheid (Harriet A. Washington)
- The Color of Law (Richard Rothstein)
- The New Jim Crow (Michelle Alexander)
- So You Want To Talk About Race (Ijeoma Oluo)
- Contributor page at The New Yorker of Jelani Cobb
- Hitler’s Furies
- Lies My Teacher Told Me (James W. Loewen)
- Nickel and Dimed (Barbara Ehrenreich)
- A list of Magical Negro occurrences in fiction books
- White Savior Narrative in Film
- The School For Magical Negroes
- The Warmth of Other Suns (Isabel Wilkerson)
- When Affirmative Action was White (Ira Katznelson)